LEARNING TO WALK.
My background included working as an Art Director in advertising agencies, teaching college-level marketing & design classes on the side, and eventually running my own strategic design firm. Along the way, I climbed more than a few mountains… designing ad campaigns and thinking up television commercials, playing with integrated campaigns, targeted campaigns, posters, public service messaging, non-profit marketing, political campaigns, packaging, logo design and more. Because I enjoyed the world of user interface, I learned the constantly changing technical requirements involved in web design– supported by email blasts and online ads. I think strategically- identifying the audience, seeking results, and enjoying navigating the integration of both print and web.
I get there on my own two feet, meaning I do the work myself. This makes me ideal for small clients with big ambitions.
WALK AWAY A DIFFERENT PERSON.
Advertising needs to move you. Whether it’s business advertising, websites, posters, public service, non-profit, political campaigns, packaging, cards, logos or an integration of all these things, it doesn’t work if your audience doesn’t notice and have an emotional response. Click below to see some of the terrain crossed during a lifetime of design work.
Mercer Island School FoundationAnn Rhodes2023-01-26T21:32:08+00:00
Integrated Resource PlanAnn Rhodes2023-01-26T21:58:25+00:00
Dessert PartyAnn Rhodes2021-01-03T15:15:16+00:00
Seattle Children’sAnn Rhodes2021-01-18T18:52:01+00:00
Glacier InstituteAnn Rhodes2021-01-03T14:39:49+00:00
Help MeAnn Rhodes2021-01-03T14:45:32+00:00
Berry BeautifulAnn Rhodes2021-01-08T14:21:43+00:00
King CountyAnn Rhodes2021-01-03T14:42:54+00:00
PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER.
I’ve worked in this field a long time and learned that great design requires innovation combined with strategic messaging and an awareness of your audience and their needs. Boiled down, it’s a mix of these four ingredients… a checklist for every great design.
01. CAPTURE ATTENTION.
02. DETERMINE PRIORITY.
03. CONVEY INFORMATION.
04. EVOKE EMOTION.
NEVER QUIT LEARNING.
I work in both print and web. I enjoy designing brochures, annual reports, posters, books, reports, presentations, ads, signs, and more while keeping up to date with resolution changes, printers, color formats, and requirements. I carried this knowledge to my design of web ads and websites, asking questions like who is the audience, what do they want to know- to say nothing of the long list of changing responsive and interactive requirements in that venue. Check out my web work to see some of the websites I recently launched.
PRINT: ANNUAL REPORTS, BROCHURES, BOOKS, OTHER
WEB DESIGN: WEBSITES, WEB ADS
Fundraising is an art that is measured in results. From 2002-2020, I was the sole marketing person for the Mercer Island Schools Foundation, a non-profit raising money for public school. The financial results we achieved (below) speaks to the success of our efforts- and was passed on to teachers and students in the Mercer Island School District.
Contact me to talk more about fundraising projects I’ve been involved with.
FROM MANY WALKS OF LIFE.
I have been fortunate to do work for:
- BUSINESS: Ablestock, AT&T, 3M company, eSociety, iPromote, Global Metal Technologies, Puget Sound Energy, Toro, Milgard, Kenworth, Flexcar, Shurgard Storage, the Port of Seattle, Yantis Acoustics, Big Mountain Mail Internet Service Provider
- EDUCATION: Apex Learning, School of Visual Concepts, Mercer Island School District, Seattle Country Day School
- ENTERTAINMENT: AT&T Fireworks, Seattle Jewish Film Festival, Summer Nights at the Pier, Minneapolis Opera, Seattle Opera
- FOOD/SKIN CARE: Fratelli’s Ice Cream, Skippers Seafood, Pyramid Ales, Thomas Kemper, Berry Beautiful
- FUNDRAISING: Mercer Island Schools Foundation, Mercer Island Guild- Seattle Children’s Hospital
- MEDICAL: Blue Cross, Blue Shield, King County Medical, and Group Health Insurance, Hope Heart Center, HealthLink, Hospitals: Swedish/ United/ Providence/ Seattle Children’s Hospital/ more
- NEWS: The Seattle Times, The Seattle PI, KPLU, The Tacoma News Tribune, Everett Herald
- POLITICS: Northwest Passage Consulting, Moxie Media, WinPower, Free Range Productions, and directly for Initiative/Candidate Campaigns
- PUBLIC SERVICE: Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center, Save the Children, DSHS, Washington Trails, PAWS, Glacier Institute, King County Search and Rescue
- SERVICE: Roto Rooter, WACAP adoption, Janco Fiduciary & Estate Services, Senior Supportive Services, Meadow Lake HOA
- SPORTS & TRAVEL: O’Brien, Mountain Safety Research, Jansport, YogaBliss, Platypus, Therm-a-rest, Holland America Cruise Lines/Westours, West Coast Resorts
- STORES: Bellevue Square, Benson Optical, Salvation Army, Spree Thrift Stores, Harold’s, Tatters, 801 Westside Apartments
- I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few- I’ve been at this a long time.